RPC Standards #34
RPC Standards · 7 Sept 2026 · 54:23
RPC standardization is stalled more by specification agreement than implementation, with Amsterdam work waiting on ET Simulate V1 changes. Chase Wright says clients return different execution-witness results, while Marius van der Wijden argues that producers and consumers remain too fluid for confident specification. Łukasz Rozmej suggests pagination may require a new endpoint rather than altering GetLogs, and Chase warns Hive can falsely pass named-tracer tests through a match-any fallback.
Speakers
Topics
From RPC Standards, hosted by Ethereum Foundation.
Transcript
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Hello? Oh, okay. I guess we have to equip it for… Nest 2 minutes, so we can… Start a poll.
Chase Wright: Hello?
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Hello? So, am I audible?
Chase Wright: Yep, I hear you.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay. Okay, I can't… we can start, right?
Chase Wright: I guess so, unless you want to give it a minute, I don't know.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Wow. Okay, let me… I'll just share my screen. Okay, I guess we can start. Is my… can you see my screen? Oh…
Chase Wright: Yep.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay. Hmm…
Chase Wright: It's a holiday in the US, so… Awesome. Alright, this is probably gonna be low attendance anyway.
Marius van der Wijden: Has this ever been high attendance?
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, so… oh.
Chase Wright: Yeah, I mean, we can just park.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: 6, 7.
Chase Wright: Yeah, what's up?
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: So I said on this PR, it's 6-7, so, I mean… I knew, like…
Chase Wright: This one's not gonna go anywhere, this one's not gonna go anywhere until we… until we figure out the ET Simulate V1 stuff, and so, we had the issue open, and multiple people have responded to it. So… I just opened a new PR. to update the eSimulate V1. spec? So… I mean… that's gonna have to get reviewed, but I just opened it, so that's… that's not gonna happen in this call. But yeah, I mean, the… That PR's not gonna go in until we… We come to an agreement on th-this. So, like, I don't know, you could review this, If you want, it's gonna require, like, a PR to go Ethereum, to add slot number, and things like that, so…
I, like, we're not gonna make any progress on this call, for this particular… PR. But, everyone does seem to be in basic agreement about what ET Simulate V1 is missing, and what we should add, so we're gonna add slot number, we're gonna fix the bow, and we're going to… Depreciate the transfer log. for Amsterdam blocks. That's basically what the new PR is. So… once we get, you know, some thumbs up on that, and we get a few PRs up, then… then the… the update to Amsterdam can progress, but I think right now it's just stuck, so…
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, sorry, sorry to, like, jump in. On our last call, we talked about, I think, Barnabas, if I can remember, he suggested you getting, a merge access to, like, have, like, a separate,
Chase Wright: Yeah, I mean, so I did talk to Felix about that, and that's work in progress, so, like, we'll probably do that, but right now, the problem is everyone agreeing on the spec. It's not… implementation, so it's not… that's not the blocker, but yeah, that is… that is work in progress, so…
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay. I think we can also skip this, because it's simulate, right?
Chase Wright: Yeah, yeah, that's just the issue, which… yeah. Warm.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, and then on 862… Yeah. I think this is, like, it…
Chase Wright: this is also Amsterdam work, and I've already given, like… I've given the thumbs up on it, I think it's fine, but we need to get the Amsterdam stuff in first, so… Amsterdam stuff needs to land first, and then this one can be rebased on top of it, and then… And then this one is… good, as far as I'm concerned? I don't know if anyone else has…
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, it says…
Chase Wright: Yeah. So… so that… so this one's just, also, just pending Amsterdam update.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, so, okay, it's 6 to… Pending. Okay. And then, what about X55?
Chase Wright: Yeah, so this one… I think… Yeah, so this one… is… like… You're the only one that has actually commented on the log index thing, but I mean… I agree. with you. So, what I think needs to happen is I need to update this one so that logs index is actually, specified? Because right now, it's just… Spec-only check, so, So this one is… this one needs more work. I… I'm gonna… I'm gonna change the spec so that log index follows GoEthereum's, and then we'll have to get all the other client PRs up, and get them to agree. And then if everyone agrees, then this one will be okay. But…
it's obviously gonna have to get rebased on Amsterdam, so whatever.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, so I actually, like, have to, like, take note of the PRs that that Amsterdam is blocking, so that we.
Chase Wright: So this one, this one is not blocked on Amsterdam. However, if we update all the, like. If we update all the tests, then this one's gonna have to get updated. because Amsterdam does change some of the fields.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah.
Chase Wright: So this one's not blocked on that, I just need to get the log index specified, and then get everyone to agree to that. And if that happens, then in theory, we could… we could merge it. I just don't think that's going to happen before the Amsterdam stuff, but if it does, fine, whatever, it doesn't matter. It's all gonna have to get regenerated anyway.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, well, I… Is there anyone on the call that has, like, a review on this particular PR?
Chase Wright: On the what?
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: I mean, it's… since we have some clients in here, do they have, like.
Chase Wright: Yeah, so, I mean, Geth already does… Do you mind giving it? So, so, Marius… will be happy, because Get doesn't need a fix. Nethermind, Lucas, you're on the… you're on the call. I don't know if you have an opinion about the logs index. I think Nethermind… Doesn't emit them at all, currently.
Łukasz Rozmej: Log index in Call Tracer?
Chase Wright: Yeah.
Łukasz Rozmej: I don't remember. I don't care.
Chase Wright: Yeah, alright, cool.
Łukasz Rozmej: To be honest.
Chase Wright: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so we'll… so I think it's just Erigon and Reth that are gonna have to update their, log indexing, because they do it on a per transaction level, and I think… Most people want it on the block level, so that the log index matches what the log index is on the block, so we'll go with that.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Oh, okay, fine. Okay.
Chase Wright: This one is an engine change, and I don't, like…
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, yeah, so…
Chase Wright: That's…
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Oh, okay, I think…
Chase Wright: It's already.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah.
Chase Wright: Huh. So, this one, it's in draft because of a GoEthereum PR. Marius actually reviewed my PR and already approved it in GoEthereum, so… This is mostly just a spec clarification update, and the only client that is different is GetH, so once GetH merges the PR, then I can, update the Go Ethereum version, and then We can… we can merge this one. In theory.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, it's pretty simple. Okay. Thank you, the, okay, yeah, I think… I opened an issue for this, but most clients have already, like, agreed on some things, but I can't recall what… the last conversation on NIDS was.
Chase Wright: Yeah.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: witness.
Chase Wright: I mean, so the problem with this one is that I'm, like… The spec work is, like, in progress, but… All of the clients kind of disagree, and so this was my attempt at writing the spec, And… GoEthereum is not necessarily following the spec as I have written it. And so I opened a PR2Go ethereum. And… they closed it. So I don't… I don't know how to move this one forward. I don't know how to spec this. Because the people who are working on it. Or not working on the spec. I don't… I guess, I don't know. It's complicated.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, so do… do any client team have anything or comments on what the specs should actually look like to… Push this forward, because we've been having this since a very long time now, and it would be nice to… how specified… Sorry, go on.
Marius van der Wijden: Yeah, the problem with this is, like, the… the consumer of this API are ZKVMs, right? M… we… I don't… I don't… I don't necessarily know if we need this after bells anymore, right? We could just.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah.
Marius van der Wijden: the bell. So… It seems pretty weird to me to specify something. Where the consumer changes quite significantly, and the producer changes quite significantly, and… like, we had this implementation of Execution Witness, but we never really… and, like, the fork choice updated with Execution Witness. Never really used that, so… I don't know, it seems like so many things are in flux, too many things are in flux for us to probably.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: So, in my last understanding is that, I think Jason from, the ZKVM implementers, he… he also left a comment on this. I was thinking that should be enough for clients into, like. Know all… Have, like, A solid spike on what this should actually be. Or is this something we can come back later, or… I'm not sure how… If we are moving forward with it, or we are going to, like, pause it for a while, then come back to it later on.
Chase Wright: I mean, I think the problem is the people who are consuming it, and the people are not… like, they're… they're not engaging, right? So, like, I don't… I don't know what to… what to do. Like, we could just drop it, but dropping it is… then, like, all the client… the clients are different, right? So… Why are they different? And I don't… I don't have an answer to that question. And who cares? I also don't have an answer to that question.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: So I'm not sure… there's a call on zkVM, I don't know if it's the right call. Is it okay to bring this up to the call, or…
Chase Wright: I mean, yeah, I guess so.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay.
Łukasz Rozmej: Are there tests for this endpoint already?
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Sorry?
Chase Wright: Like, we don't have… tests… in, like, execution APIs, like, that's what this is… Trying to do.
Łukasz Rozmej: Because I remember on the ZK side, there were some test changes, and there were some API metals in those tests. which were related to ZKK and the witnesses exactly, so… I'm not sure if this is this endpoint or the other endpoint, but it would be good to take a look what's there.
Chase Wright: Yeah, I mean, fair enough, but, like, if you call the method against the various clients, they all return different things. So, even if there are tests, I don't know what they're testing.
Łukasz Rozmej: Yeah, I'm not sure if this is this one or other endpoint, but I know there were some tests. And it can be this way, that some clients might be, you know, some clients might have adopted, some clients might have left it untouched, etc. There's too many things going on, to be honest, too. Always be on top of everything, but yeah, I do know that there are some ZKK tests, ZKK-related tests in a z… some zK test suits that are related to JSON, RPC, and witnesses. I'm not sure of this one, exactly, but… That might be kind of… A way of speccing some parts of it. Looking what's in the tests, that's kind of… I don't know. I can try looking it up.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Sorry, the test you're talking about, is it the, spec test?
Łukasz Rozmej: Yeah, kind of. I haven't implemented it, I know what… Daniel and Ruben from our team, but yeah, we're working on it.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay.
Łukasz Rozmej: Some time ago, so that's why I have only vague recollection what was there. Hmm…
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: I guess we can come back to this, and I can also, like, get it… To the thing they have recalled. I'm not sure if this is the right call, actually, Bo. Mmm, this has to do with Amsterdam. Oh, okay. This engine payload. then it's… Basics… Okay.
Chase Wright: Oh, yeah, so this one, This one is pending a GoEthereum PR. So, if you look at his initial… PR description. There's a GoEthereum PR. Linked for returning null for missing raw transactions. It's been up since June 26th, and… Felix assigned himself on June 30th, and it hasn't… it hasn't been reviewed. So… Like, we can't do anything with this unless… Kath? Reviews it, and has an opinion.
Marius van der Wijden: Mmm. We should… we should just add, like, Like, a comment that, yeah, this is blocking something, please. review it. Like, it's… it's… it's not easy for us to… Distinguish as the guest team, to distinguish between random PRs that, like, someone made, and… just forgot about, and PRs that someone really wants to get in, and is, is, is blocked by it. So if you could just add a… add a comment that, hey, I don't know, we are blocked by this. Or we would really like to get this in. Can you please take a look? And then it pops up for us again, and we can prioritize it over other stuff.
Chase Wright: Yep, that's fun.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: So, okay, this is… yeah. Oh, okay. You bring me to it. Thank you. I think, 7, 9… Must beza, actually, from you.
Chase Wright: Yeah. So this is… this is just the PR that's removing that, unused… Random error code from the, From the block. So, we talked about this, error code negative 39001. Nobody's actually following it, except… Besu, I think? So… That was the blocker for the other PR. Because you, you brought it up, what about this error code? So… All I really need is some thumbs up and people to… say this is fine, and then we could merge this, and if we merge this, then that unblocks the other pull requests for GetHeaders by hash and GetHeader by BlockNumber. Yep. I don't know.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, since we have a client in here, that would be nice to get a thumbs up from them, but I'm not sure if this affects basically… is it that it affects them, or… I don't know what they're called, but they look like.
Chase Wright: I mean, in theory.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Do we need them to specifically thumbs up to this also?
Chase Wright: I mean… the… The clients already do not match. Besu and Erigon… do not match… The other 4 clients. So, like… I don't know.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: What I'm asking is, if these get matched, do they need to be aware of these changes? Maybe if it's something that would affect them, if this…
Chase Wright: So there's no test for it today that they would fail on. If the other PR gets… approved and merged, then they will start failing those tests, I think. Well, no, because error code is usually ignored anyway. I mean, yes, we should let them know. But… Does it affect them in any way? Probably not.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, but since we have, Get and NetherMind, do we… can we get, like, a review from you on this? That would be great.
Marius van der Wijden: Yeah… sure. Sounds good to me. Like, I'm not in front of my laptop, so I cannot give it a thumbs up right now, but I will. I will try not to forget it.
Stavros Vlachakis: I single another man said we are fine.
Chase Wright: Yeah.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, thank you. Hold on. And 7, 877… Okay, this is 7 dropped.
Chase Wright: So this is only in draft, because… Erigon? Has Erigon needs a fix? Which I did submit, but it's kind of a complicated fix for them, so… They are… but they seem willing to make the change? Besu needs to implement the methods, so… but I have PRs to every single client, I just need… Basically, to take this out of draft, I just need people to say, like, yes, we should specify this, and it should be part of the spec. That's… that's basically it. Like, these methods are mostly implemented.
Łukasz Rozmej: Why do we need it? Aren't they redundant?
Chase Wright: I mean, that is a… that is a question, potentially, for the original implementers. Because these methods already exist, they're in the clients, So, like…
Łukasz Rozmej: Okay, okay.
Chase Wright: Yeah, so, like, should we spec it, and make sure they all match? Or… We're not.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yo.
Stavros Vlachakis: I would say.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: I have, like… Sorry, sorry, go on, sorry.
Stavros Vlachakis: No, no, I just wanted to say, yeah, let's spec them.
Chase Wright: Yeah, okay. So, I mean, this is the spec, and each client needs, like, a small… a small fix, and there are… I opened draft PRs for all of them, just because I didn't want to bother the implementers with Until the spec was… Thumbs up, basically. Like, even Erigon has it, it's just under the Erigon namespace instead of the ETH namespace, so… like… It's a small, small, small change, But if everyone is on board, then, like, I just make all the PRs not draft and get everyone to agree.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay. I guess… EL. We can do that. I didn't… One last thing I did not put on the agenda, it's about the error code. Are we still talking about that, or it's just gone?
Chase Wright: We… we did talk about the error code. The negative 39001, that was…
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Not, not that one, the one with, Felix and, Sims and, Sina.
Chase Wright: Yeah, okay. -Oh.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay. So, 875… I think this PR is…
Chase Wright: Yeah, I just need… I just need thumbs up. This… everyone already does this, so… ethrex is fixed, and everyone already does this. So, I just… That's neat.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Nethermind also gives… give a thumbs up.
Chase Wright: Yeah.
Łukasz Rozmej: I would say, if everyone already does this, don't even ask us, just… Enshrine it. Fair enough.
Chase Wright: Alright.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: We can't get this merged, yeah?
Chase Wright: Yeah, sure, I'll do it after the call.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay? Why? What's open to my screen? Okay. Mmm, I think… this is also good to me. I don't see any much, Big of a change here, or do you have any… Reservations on this.
Hello?
Chase Wright: Yeah, I don't… I don't… I assume that this is correct and fine?
Marius van der Wijden: Wait. What is this? Clarify, few recipients, not Coinbase.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Can you see? Because I think.
Marius van der Wijden: some part.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: oof.
Chase Wright: This is part of block overrides, right? be a recipient. He's boss. So this is a clarification to ETH Simulate Payload.
Marius van der Wijden: Whoa…
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: I'm not sure…
Marius van der Wijden: This… it's correct, but it's, like, it's pretty unnecessary. It's… I would just merge it.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, it's just this,
Chase Wright: particularly.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Slowly clarification.
Chase Wright: Best kind of crush, right? That seems fine, I don't know.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, it looks… It's more of a clarification thing.
Chase Wright: Alright. If no one objects, I will… I will just merge it. Seems fine.
Marius van der Wijden: Yeah, dude.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: And then, 872… I double-booked on this… oh, okay. And this, I don't really understand,
Chase Wright: So I think… I think this is just legacy behavior of some of the clients, so… You can pass input, And you can… and, like, data was the old way of passing it. And some of the clients still accept either. At least that's my interpretation of this.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Is it necessary? Like…
Chase Wright: I don't… I don't think it's necessary.
Marius van der Wijden: No, I don't… I don't… no, I don't think that should be added to the… to the schema. This is, like, legacy behavior that should not be part of the schema. Like, the schema should be forward-looking.
Chase Wright: Yeah, I agree with that, and I think that, like, clients honoring the old data key as input is just… Client-specific legacy behavior that We shouldn't specify. or encourage. At least, that's my take. Okay.
Łukasz Rozmej: specify one, if clients support aliasing, that's fine, but I wouldn't.
Chase Wright: Yeah.
Łukasz Rozmej: refine it.
Chase Wright: Alright, I'll leave a… I'll leave a comment and get the… Guy's… response?
Łukasz Rozmej: Close it.
Chase Wright: Just close it, alright.
Łukasz Rozmej: Move forward, you know.
Marius van der Wijden: Yeah, just…
Łukasz Rozmej: Brave.
Chase Wright: Alright.
Marius van der Wijden: Yeah.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: I mean…
Łukasz Rozmej: Done!
Chase Wright: Good.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Then, this issue, GetLogs Improvement. Although I did not really look at it, so I'm not sure what exactly.
Chase Wright: I did not look at this either. Oh, actually, well, okay, so… Part of the clarification of this is the ETH Get logs what it does for a future block. That was part of… this, but this has a lot of other weird issues that I don't know that we can even solve in RPC standards?
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, but why is it saying that RPCs is not very efficient… inefficient in what way?
Chase Wright: Yeah, I don't know.
Łukasz Rozmej: So, looking at this, no built-in rework handling, huh. I'm not sure if we built it or not, but we… I think there is a re-handling, but it's only through ETH Subscribe? if I'm correct, you get that some logs you have gotten now have the removed flag? Right? I'm not sure if I'm hallucinating of… or this is… this is true, I haven't looked at that for so long. But I think so, that there is a rear handling in… 48 subscribe. You cannot really have easy error handling through just an endpoint, because you need to have some state to know what you send to the spear and what you haven't, so that's one thing. No consistent error on unexceeded ranges. That might be true, so that's, like, defining proper error codes.
No pagination, that's… Kind of true, so it would… might be good to… to… but this would be kind of… new endpoint, probably, because I don't really see how you can easily add pagination here. That we would have to design. So, for example, because most clients or nodes have… maybe nodes, not clients, have limits on how many, data they will, send you. It would be good to have somehow… A way to re-request the same query, saying, oh, this was the last data you gave me, and please give me data from this point. On forward, right? So that's pagination here. Json RPC is not very efficient,
there was a lot of, work on that, so both we and Gav have, specialized, and probably all other clients too, but… We have indexes that are specialized for… Efficiency, and efficiency is a broad word, because ET gauge GetLogs might get… There are different, very different use cases. For example, you can have a very narrow, let's say, query, so not much blocks, but a lot of logs, but you can also have a very long-range scan for queries. So, say. give me all logs on this from Genesis, right? And you have to, look up through… Millions of blocks. And indexes generally help with the second, second problem, not the first one, so… I would say it's efficient a lot of the times, actually, with those indexes. When fetching up to latest.
You don't know what latest was, just… Yeah, that's somewhat fair criticism. But then… don't fetch up to latest?
Chase Wright: Yeah, I mean, the whole problem with latest is… has always existed in that… If you load balance, you never know what you're gonna get, unless every node is at the same block, which… not true on very fast networks a lot of time. And the… the solution to that is to use a block number, or use a… use a…
Łukasz Rozmej: Yeah, yeah, like… I get what you're saying.
Chase Wright: Cool.
Łukasz Rozmej: Yeah, so I don't think we can solve 5 easily. We could get… do something… new endpoint that potentially solves this, right? That's… it's similar to GetLogs, but have pagination, and it can respond what latest was on its query, right, for example? So we could do something, but we cannot really solve it in GetLogs directly without breaking the contract, so… Yeah, so those are my comments.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, thank you.
Łukasz Rozmej: The rear car…
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: I'm not sure.
Łukasz Rozmej: Should be there. One is not true, I think, if you use ETH subscribe for logs. Then you have error handling… ERC handling, not error handling. Which… what you should be doing if you want that. Otherwise, I don't know, what do you want. You cannot have that on a stateless endpoint.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Sorry, would it be okay if you, like, make a comment on the issue? Because I barely understand, the entire 5 points he listed.
Łukasz Rozmej: Yeah, sure, can you give me the link in the chat?
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: View. Fun fact is, I'm not sure how to get the chat whenever I'm sharing my screen.
Łukasz Rozmej: Okay, let me try getting it…
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: It's 706. Okay, thank you. Oh, look at it. Okay, then… we talked about Hive last two weeks, I guess, and then this… We're supposed to go in. I'm not sure what happened.
Chase Wright: I mean, currently, the only one who's reviewed this is LightClient, and he's not on the call, so I don't know… I don't know what his problem is with it. like, well, I kinda do, in that… It's a bunch of code. For an awkward situation. it… what I'm trying to do is… If we want to specify named tracers, then… The… the schema validation needs a way to know which schema to look at. Otherwise, they all fall through to the, like… Match… match anything, basically? So, like, this particular PR is not… required. But… what ends up happening is…
If we try to create a specification for a named tracer. then they all basically fall back to being spec-only tests without this change. So, in Hive, the test would run, and it would return a result. And the result would fall through to a, like, match-any situation. And so, everyone's test would get a green checkmark, and it would say that it passed. Even though it… it should have been, not spec-only. It should have been deterministic. So that's the blocker in Hive with this. Like, we can still spec Call Tracer and other name tracers, but Hive, without this particular change, is just going to say everything is green, no matter what, basically.
So, unfortunately, unless I can get Light Clients, or Felix, or someone else to review. or answer my questions about how we could… if anyone has another idea how to solve the problem, I'm all for it, but I don't… Don't know how to move forward.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, do any client team have anything to say in regards to this? Oh, I guess not. Okay. I'm not… I don't really have an opinion on… in… anything related to Hive, as I… Could barely understand.
Chase Wright: Yeah, I mean, it's just a messy solution, but it's also a messy problem, because… the open… like… the RPC standards… Schema parsing is… Confusing.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, what about, is this something we need to… if it's something the OpenRPC guide can help us, Patch. It just has to be here.
Chase Wright: I think it has to be here, because here is where the evaluation is done in Hyde.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Determine.
Chase Wright: Determine if the client passes or not.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay. So… I don't know, maybe we can ping, like, Klein or Felix if he's back, I'm not sure. Or if anybody has any other comment on it, or a solution, that would be great. Then, these are the PRs we are supposed to… March last week, I think. Oh, this is a city-Amsterdam issue.
Chase Wright: Yeah, this… this one is… This one can't be merged until we finish.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah.
Chase Wright: Mulet.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay. You've already reviewed this. Any more comments? Looks fine.
Chase Wright: No, I think… I think this can be merged unless anyone objects. It's just adding two tests for gas price and max for energy.
Łukasz Rozmej: If we're passing it, sure.
Chase Wright: I think so. I can… I can double check. I'll the primary.
Łukasz Rozmej: Again, like I said, if it's something that has zero, Zero actions from us, but don't even worry about it. Let's do it.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay. And then our CHAID UVA should be… this one.
Łukasz Rozmej: What does that do? EIP… I'm not sure what this object is, but…
Chase Wright: Yeah, so you can pass an object. Instead of passing block number, and then the block number, or block hash, or the block hash, you can pass in an object, and that object has… basically what's right there in the very top of the description. It can have block hash, and then a block hash, and then it can do require canonical true or false. So, this already exists? And it's just adding tests for it, basically.
Łukasz Rozmej: Merge? Yeah. Admion already exists, and I… I agree.
Chase Wright: Yeah. I mean, light client reviewed it, asked a question, and then… Disappeared, so… That's why it's still pending.
Łukasz Rozmej: Again, if it exists, fine.
Chase Wright: Alright.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: But it would be generally good to, like, get thumbs up from clients, so that it's… we see, like, the full consensus about the PR.
Marius van der Wijden: Yeah, the problem is that, like, then we will never merge anything, because clients are just not looking at it.
Łukasz Rozmej: I don't have enough time to look at PRs in my repo.
Marius van der Wijden: Cheer.
Chase Wright: I mean, the blocker was that a client developer did look at it, added comments, And then… disappear. That… that's my problem. But, I'll take everyone on this call's review as good enough.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay. I'm not exactly sure what this is.
Chase Wright: This is Stefan's, but, this is adding, Well, first, we have to define Call Tracer, because Call Tracer is not spec'd. So, MyPR is doing that, but MyPR is currently doing that for pre-Amsterdam. And now, we need to add the bowel stuff. And all the other Amsterdam stuff? here. So, all of the work Has been done? To… to do that? Except for, we need to generate Amsterdam Chain? So, this is basically just blocked on, we need to fix ET Simulate V1.
Stefan Starflinger: Fix where? In the current client branches, or…
Chase Wright: No, no, so Eat Simulate V1, needs the spec for it in execution APIs needs to be defined. I opened that PR this morning based on updated input from the client dev. in the issue. So…
Stefan Starflinger: That would be very important to get done, and, estimate guess. These two, I think, are especially important for, DevNet11 that we want to launch, because we've gotten complaints from Layer 2, that they want these, RPC calls to work, so they can… Test their stuff.
Chase Wright: Yeah, so ETH Estimate Gas, I know I submitted PRs to multiple clients, already, and they all basically got merged, I think. So if there are more issues with East Estimate Gas, then hit me up in Discord, and we'll… we'll take a look at them.
Stefan Starflinger: Sounds good.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay. Thank you. And then, I think that's the… all for today, then we… Still have this pending on how to cut a release. Because I believe a release will also help in the DevNets testing, sort of.
Chase Wright: Yeah, I mean, I still… I still sit on the, let's… let's fix Amsterdam, and then let's do a release.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, but you also promised to, like, create a meta-issue on what is going… what should be in the release.
Chase Wright: But you got me there. Yes, I did, and I forgot to do that, so… I will make note. I'll do that.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, Okay, thank you. I think that's basically from the agenda. I don't know if anyone has any other thing to say or issue to… point out. Alright then. That's all for today. Thank you all for joining. See you all, next two weeks, I guess. Have a great day.
Stefan Starflinger: Thank you.
Chase Wright: Bye.
Łukasz Rozmej: Bye.
Transcript adapted from ethereum/pm, CC BY-SA 3.0.