RPC Standards #33

RPC Standards · 24 Aug 2026 · 25:18

Call 33 of RPC Standards, held on 24 August 2026. Client teams and tooling developers work on the shared JSON-RPC specification.

Speakers

Topics

From RPC Standards, hosted by Ethereum Foundation.

Transcript

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Hello?

Chase Wright: Hello.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, I don't know if you saw my… got my message. My network is a little bit flaky. And I might be dropping on… Can you hear me?

Chase Wright: Yep, are you?

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, can you… I was asking if you got my message.

Chase Wright: Yeah, yeah, I got your message. Are you…

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay.

Chase Wright: is… I don't… I'm just…

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: My network is flaky, so I might not be able to, like. Anchor the call, in a way, so…

Chase Wright: I'm just waiting for more people to show up.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, okay, thank you.

Chase Wright: Alright, I don't know if anyone else is gonna come, so I'll just start on the first agenda item. First agenda item is this pull request 867. I don't think anyone has any Objections to this? There's a new… there's a new test to require Debug, get raw receipts to accept a block cache. Seems fine. And yes, Barnabas, it is generally this quiet. Very few people show up to this call, unfortunately. So…

Barnabas Busa: They're gonna be created quite easily, right?

Chase Wright: What's that.

Barnabas Busa: And that means that the standards can be created quite easily.

Chase Wright: Yeah, totally, man, totally. Anyway, Yeah, so, I don't think anyone has any objections to this. I, all of the clients that we tested passed except, ethrex, and they already agreed that they were going to, Look at it and fix it, so… I already approved it, unless anyone has any objections, I think I can probably just merge it after this call. Let's see, then the second one… On the agenda is gonna be this guy, pull request 863. It's just, it's just a clarification, adding an example into the spec. I asked the author to fix… to fix the example, they fixed it, I've approved it. This has no impact on anything other than showing the example in the docs.

So, again, I already approved it, unless someone Objects, I can merge it after this call. Let's see what's next. Yeah, okay, so the next one… this is one that we did not discuss in the, ACDT stand up, but this is… basically the same problem as the ACDT stand-up. We need HiveChain updated for this one. So… This one, as far as I could tell, is… is fine. I don't think there's anything really blocking it. Other than there is a PR. for ETHREX, That I created. So someone from the ethrex team probably needs to… to look at that. We can tag them in Discord and see if we can get someone to look at that.

Let's see… This… the next PR, which is, 8.59, it had comments from LightClient. He, he asked a question and then did not follow up, so I'm gonna… I'm gonna ask him if he can… Comment… So, yeah, I just… I just tagged him in the… in the issue, because I don't… I don't know what to do with his comment. Unfortunately. Let's see… So… The next one…

is 8.52. We discussed this in the AllCoreDevs testing already. So I probably just won't go over it in detail again. Same basic premise, we need… we need HiveChain to be updated. Then… The next one is a Hive PR that, once again. I need light clients to either approve or… Or elaborate on? And then the next one is updating HypeChain, which… Again, Like Clients is supposed to be reviewing. Let's see, what else? Okay, so, Boma, you created the agenda. It looks like 787.

And… What's the other one? Oh, 801? Yeah, so… s… these two… These two PRs are the same thing, 787 is… Trying to address the issue but it's only spec? So it's only… yeah, it's only the spec. And then, my AO1… is… Adding the actual fixtures for the spec. So, mine supersedes… 787. But unfortunately, no one has… Reviewed or said anything? for PR801, so, like, I don't know…

what the holdup is. I don't know if we should… take it to Discord, or, take it to the other clients. Or if we should just merge it. I don't know if anyone has an opinion.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: We have some clients in here, they can chime in.

Chase Wright: We have one client in here, and Barnabas. We've got another one.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: If, They can't give us, like, a thumbs up or something, then we can track the other clients to see what they think about it.

Chase Wright: Yeah, maybe I'll just post it in, I'll just post it in the Discord, see if we can get some feedback on this. I don't know what the best channel to post it in, though. Alright, whatever. I'll do it, do it later. Let's see… What's this comment? Is it a comment? Oh, okay. Okay, so that's… yeah, that's Hive. So we talked about that in the, They're AllCoreDev testing, Paul, so we don't need to… Go over that again. The… the next one… Okay.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: About… about… you're talking about, 1585, right?

Chase Wright: Let me see… what… 105. Yep, that one.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, I have, like, some… like, a question, probably. So… I want to ask if clients is going to, like, pick up the Prague, blob prompts on their own, because.

Chase Wright: Yes, he said in ACDT, which happened just before this stand-up, that he would review these, and… And, and Mario Vega also commented that they would look at it and try to get it merged, so… So yeah, it's… Someone's… someone's gonna look at it.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Oh, okay.

Chase Wright: Was that your question?

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: No, I had, like, a question on how… because I see that the Prague entry mirrors, Cancun, for example, so, which totally makes sense, but… we are not setting any, blob schedule, so I wanted to ask if clients is going to pick up the Prague blob prompts on their own. I don't know if my question makes sense.

Chase Wright: Yeah, I… I think so. Yes, they… they have… In Hive, they do look at the environment variable and pick up the blob schedule. And then in my… In my PR updating to Glamsterdam, we're also setting the BPO schedules, so… It's… Yes. They, they should pick it up.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: And also, one last thing about the, 60 million cars.

Chase Wright: Yep.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: will it be okay to have, like, a comment somewhere, like, an inline comment about where it's coming from? Because I believe System EL is default for Get, for example, and also Besu.

Chase Wright: Yeah, yeah, it is…

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Otherwise, it will look like a magic number, because I was actually wondering where it was coming from.

Chase Wright: Oh, yeah, it's coming because GoEthereum defaults to that, and since it's not set, GoEthereum defaults to that. So all of our test fixtures that… that rely on that require that number to be 60 million, because that's the… that's the GetHS default So, when the fixtures are generated, they assume it's 60 million gas limit. This affects, like, Nethermind and a couple others who aren't setting 60 million as the default gas limit. So, you just wanna… you wanna comment?

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, to, like. point out where it's coming from, because I was literally looking at… trying to figure out, then I had to check Get and Best, so then it's like a default pram or something.

Chase Wright: Yeah. Okay, good point. I could probably… I mean, we could probably just… Can you leave a comment on the… on that PR? Just leave a comment and ask for it?

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, yeah, oh yeah.

Chase Wright: 85? Yeah. I mean, that's a good point. It is just a number that appears out of nowhere. Alright, and my browser just locked up, that's cool. Yeah.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Barnabas also had a comment, I don't know.

Chase Wright: What was it? Oh, what was it? Yeah. Okay. Yeah, I'm not… I'm not entirely sure, because Hive runs… Hive imports… HiveChain, and then there's no consensus clients, so they just kind of sit there. I don't know who… who or what is setting the default gas limit, but… I don't think it particularly matters. The only thing that really matters is that all clients agree on what the gas limit is at the time that the RPC request call is made. So, that's good.

call out, but I… Don't think it impacts… Anything currently? Okay, so the next one was the… this one, which is, A51. We talked about this on the ACDT call. No one objects, no one is objecting, it's just a specification clarification. I don't think it… I checked, it doesn't break any of the current tests, as far as I could tell, so I agreed that I would merge this after this call, unless anyone objected, so I will do that.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Just a little reminder that we don't have any, test features for bowel.

Chase Wright: Yep.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: I… A toll.

Chase Wright: Yep, I'm aware. So, we brought it up in ACDT, and… we… it's… we all know Hive needs to be updated, or Hive Chain needs to get updated. It's on the… It's on the… It's on the to-do list. This particular PR, though, they just want to get it merged because… The spec and all of the clients have already implemented it, so it's just updating the YAML, basically, so… I said, okay, so we'll worry about generating tests once HiveChain is updated, but they want to get this merged, and I don't have any objections to it, so… I think it's fine. Okay, the only thing left is error codes, and there is no update on that front. I haven't… I haven't heard from Felix.

So… I don't know if you want to talk about it anymore, Bama, but… There's really not much…

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: I don't… it's just a blocker we… we can't really deal with, because Currently, Felix is not here, and then Sims also is not here, so… there's… I don't know. But… This particular issue has been extended for, like, More than a year now.

Chase Wright: Yep. I don't disagree, but I don't…

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Sorry, I just wanted to ask, is, Felix's vacation, like, will he be coming back anytime soon?

Chase Wright: I… I don't know… I don't know. I think so. He's… he messaged me on… on Wednesday, but he's still technically out of office, so…

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay. what about our release? Do we… should we plan out a release plan, or…

Chase Wright: I mean, I… I would like to, but then at the same time, like, we have so many…

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: issues.

Chase Wright: time issues that I just… like, it… like, cutting another beta version with the current issues we have, I mean, it doesn't serve any Purpose.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, what if we kind of, like, make it, like, our priority list that we need these high issues to get met so that we can cut a release and then have, glance to them? I think they've made it? So, magic.

Chase Wright: I mean, I think we could… we could probably create, like, a… a meta-issue. And just track what… what we want to get done before we cut the next one? We could probably do that. Alright, so we'll… We'll do that. I'll add it… I'll add it to my to-do list.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Then, we would also need to, like, bump, like, clients.

Chase Wright: Yeah, I know. Alright, does anyone have anything else? Anything else to talk about?

Barnabas Busa: Can you not just get maintainer access, Chase?

Chase Wright: Can I what?

Barnabas Busa: Can you not just get maintainer access to this room?

Chase Wright: I have maintainer access to execution APIs. I do not have it to Hive.

Barnabas Busa: Yeah, too high, I meant.

Chase Wright: I mean, there's… there's a big difference between, like, me getting maintainer access and having actual engineers review PRs and appro… and, like, do stuff, like…

Barnabas Busa: I mean, like.

Chase Wright: If I write the PR, someone else should review it, not just.

Barnabas Busa: Yeah, yeah, yeah I'm not saying that it doesn't need to be reviewed, I'm saying that stuff could still be deployed, stuff could still be running, and we could check against it. Even if it's not sitting in main, or master.

Chase Wright: Yeah.

Barnabas Busa: So, like, we need to have… we need to have those branches out for DevNets, at least, so that we can make progress. And then once, you know, people are back from holidays or whatever, they can take a review, and they will be able to actually see, okay, this is a deployed version, it actually is working, and it's a lot easier to review the code that way. So just get maintainer access, create your branches, whatever you need. And we'll just get it done.

Chase Wright: Okay. I mean, yeah, I can… I could try. I… my only hesitation with that is, like. The… the… the branch diff necessary to make this happen is… is very large, and so if I can't get someone to review the smaller PRs, I don't know who's gonna review the… like, massive branch stiff, but I can… I can try.

Barnabas Busa: I mean, isn't the branch diff just… should be, like, a one-liner? Like, hey, here's the branch that you should be using?

Chase Wright: I don't… I don't understand what you mean by that. Like, I have to create a branch in Hive to generate.

Barnabas Busa: Yeah.

Chase Wright: They're damn… Hive chain, and that is already, like. I mean, that… that alone is already, like… I don't know how many… lines, and then… like… I mean… I don't know. There's, like, multiple… and it's not just updating it for that, like, there's other stuff in it also, like, there's, like, spec check stuff, so, like, testing against the open JSON RPC, like, there's other stuff in it, so it's… it's big. If I can get, like, client to review it all, that would be nice. But yes, I understand your point. If I get maintainer access to Hive, I can create a branch and just point everything at the branches. I mean, I could… I could try.

Barnabas Busa: Yeah, that's okay. Let's not get blocked on…

Chase Wright: Yeah.

Barnabas Busa: Nothing.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: What, what, so, so… Just like, client teams are doing, like, having, them at 6, 7 branches, similar to that, right?

Chase Wright: Yeah.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay.

Chase Wright: So, so basically, we would create a branch off execution APIs called, you know. Glamsterdam, or whatever, and then out in Hive, create another branch called Glamsterdam, and then those two branches… then execution APIs can point at that, and Hive can point at GoEthereum DevNet branch 8, or whatever, right? So… so you get the full circular dependency. But they're just not being merged into… into main until everything's aligned.

Barnabas Busa: once it hits mainnet or something, you know? Like, that's also fine.

Chase Wright: Was that Boma?

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: That could actually, like, help us to cut a release faster, so that when we want to, like, move to main, we can, like, cut a release. I don't know if that makes sense.

Chase Wright: Yeah, yeah. Makes sense. Okay. Alright, I guess that's it for this week.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Alright, thanks.

Barnabas Busa: Thank you. Bye.

Chase Wright: Bye-bye.

Transcript adapted from ethereum/pm, CC BY-SA 3.0.