RPC Standards #32

RPC Standards · 10 Aug 2026 · 27:43

Call 32 of RPC Standards, held on 10 August 2026. Client teams and tooling developers work on the shared JSON-RPC specification.

Speakers

Topics

From RPC Standards, hosted by Ethereum Foundation.

Transcript

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Hello? Hello?

Chase Wright: Hello.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Hello? Good day. I think maybe we can start. I don't… Shh. Sorry, is my screen visible?

Chase Wright: Yep.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay. So, okay. Oh, okay, so you've already made a comment on this, maybe skip. Okay, I was actually thinking this has been merged, I don't know.

Chase Wright: Yeah, no, so, I mean, that one is in draft, but, There are two PRs that are ready for review, but there's nobody to review them.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, this thing Duan mentioned here, right?

Chase Wright: Yeah, well… Yeah, those, those two, yeah. I mean, the overwhelming majority of PRs and issues in execution APIs right now is related to Glamsterdam, and… HiveChain hasn't been updated in forever, so… Like, I have the PR to update HiveChain, but there's nobody to review it, right? The only person who works on HiveChain is Felix, and he's… Out of office right now. And… I can…

Lightclient (Matt Garnett): I can look at this.

Chase Wright: Alright, that would be appreciated.

Lightclient (Matt Garnett): So it's those two PRs?

Chase Wright: Yeah, those, those two PRs in high… so, one of them is… Adding some, some stuff for debugs. The other one is fixing a spec test, spec gen. And then… the PR that is in draft… which is the tracking one. There are changes in there, but that requires… DevNet 8? Like, I need to bump everything, DevNet 8. Because that's the only way I can actually test Glamsterdam stuff.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: So, you say, in other words, the one in draft should go in first, before the other one.

Chase Wright: So… Okay, so the one in draft is built on top of the other two Hive PRs, so it's just… and it's just a continuation of the changes necessary to get us…

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay.

Chase Wright: into a state where the chain is in Glamsterdam. And we have the, like, contracts needed to test, debug, methods. So… All of that needs to happen, and then… like I said, most of the other execution API stuff is all related to… to Glamsterdam, so there's, like, this chicken and egg problem.

Lightclient (Matt Garnett): Sorry, what needs to update so that you can test the Glamster dancings?

Chase Wright: So, HiveChain itself needs to regenerate the chain with.

Lightclient (Matt Garnett): I see.

Chase Wright: an Glamsterdam compatible.

Lightclient (Matt Garnett): Jane.

Chase Wright: Mommy?

Lightclient (Matt Garnett): Yeah, yeah, I gotcha. I'll take a look at these two PRs and merge them today. The Glamps are damn one. I'm not sure if I'll get to…

Chase Wright: Yeah, if you merge those two, then I can rebase that draft On top of it, and then… Up… updated.

Lightclient (Matt Garnett): Okay. Yes.

Chase Wright: Tony.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, thank you. Don't we have this… It's 6… 0. I'm not exactly sure the details for…

Chase Wright: Yeah, I don't know…

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: frame.

Chase Wright: It's related to frame transactions.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yo.

Chase Wright: And, like, once again, there are no frame transactions in HiveChain today. So, I think this one is also… Something we can't deal with right now?

Lightclient (Matt Garnett): Yeah, I think mostly he opened this because I asked him to… I told him that this wasn't the… the actual EIP wasn't the right place to specify this, and that it needed to be against execution APIs, so I think this is more of a placeholder… Just so that we know what… For our frame, DevNets, what the shape should be. So I don't really anticipate merging this. In the immediate future.

Chase Wright: Yep, that's fine. So, this one is mine, and this is from an old issue that Belix opened,

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah.

Chase Wright: As far as I could tell, every client is… is supported and working now. And I know you reviewed it and said, okay, you know, I'm just… I don't want to go, like, merging my own PRs without… without a review or a discussion. So… I don't know if anyone… like, there's only the three of us on this call today, so that's unfortunate, but, I could probably post this in Discord, and maybe get some more thumbs ups, and if other people say it's fine, then I can… I could just merge it. Yeah, but… It's just adding a few more tests for, EIP1898, which every client already implemented, so… Should be fine. I just want more thumbs up, or…

from someone before I merge my own PR?

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, it's just… it looks okay, but getting a general consensus on it would be great, also.

Chase Wright: Yep, for sure.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: And I also, I left a message on… this EL, channel about the debug goodness we discussed last three calls or thereabouts. I'm not sure if you've seen it.

Chase Wright: Yeah, yeah, I did. I know there was a previous discussion in the ZK channel about it. It got lost. It was in a thread, though, and no one really replied. So… I don't… I don't know, cause… I think their spec is still work in progress. And I know that… Yeah, but I… In order… well, go ahead.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Sorry, I thought Jess, Jess Sign or something made… or left some comments on the PR itself. Then Nethermind had a similar, PR they did, not debug bit necessarily, but the engine part of it.

Chase Wright: Yeah, I don't… I'm wondering.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: I don't think I… okay. I'm talking about the comments he left him. I was thinking this comment kind of, like, addresses the issue we… pointed out.

Chase Wright: I mean, but I… so I updated it after his comments. But I think the problem right now is that Geth… Geth can't pass the spec as the spec is written, I think is the fair problem.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: So I'm saying that I left a message on the EL channel about this, so that clients can, like, update. there are different implementations to properly align with this PR, so…

Chase Wright: Okay, yeah, that's cool. I mean, we just need them to do that.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Oh, good. So, the next one should be 858GC Studios,

Chase Wright: Yeah, this one is pretty simple. There's some duplicate named tests, and some duplicate tests in the repo, so I'm just deleting those, pretty much, and then regenerating the fixtures. So, same as the other one, I just… probably just need to get more thumbs up. And then I can merge it.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, we've already had the discussion on this hive. That's why I said he would take a look at it, and then… we had a discussion on this our last call, and we said we were going to get this merged, so I'm not sure what… The update is.

Chase Wright: Yeah, so there's a… if you look at the other… PR,

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Which one?

Chase Wright: rabbit hole. 8… 8.01, I guess? No. Hold on.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: This one, etzier 1.

Chase Wright: Oh, sorry, 8, 862. So if you look at 862, this is related… this is blocking, I think, kinda, on… So you have testing Build Block V1, right? And he opened an issue about testing Build Block V1, because… Geth doesn't support the target gas limit, so I opened a PR in go-ethereum ethrex and Ref to patch it. The other clients are already supporting it,

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah.

Chase Wright: So… We might need to update the… the spec? Not 100% sure. I was looking at it this morning, and I got sidetracked, But I think before we merge, the testing… build block V1, I need to get this issue closed out.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: So, what issue?

Chase Wright: that this… It's…

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: 6'2".

Chase Wright: Yeah, so go-ethereum is not honoring the target gas limit in the API. But… I remember.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Oh, this… okay, okay. I understand, I understand now. Thank you. Mmm, I think… Overlooked into this, right? Yep, we have. So, then we have… This… But it still has to do with, block, level access.

Chase Wright: Yeah, so that's… that's block access lists, so this has the same problem where we don't… we don't have Block Access Lists in HiveChain yet.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: But you know that we have, Baal… In here already.

Chase Wright: Yes.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: So, do we, like… put this on hold, or it's something we can merge and then update Hive later, like…

Chase Wright: So, I don't… I don't know if we could… if we can or should merge it yet, because there are 3 client issues… or 2 client issues open referencing the issue. Like, I think this is just… Clarification? down there in…

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yo.

Chase Wright: I think I'm just wait.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, we can wait on the immediate letter, because it… sort of, like… Reference what has been there already. And then, about the Get Subscribe, this was a PR from CINA, I think. But… do we also match this one? The only thing that was holding this back was, The upgrade, which has already happened.

Chase Wright: Yeah, I mean… Do we…

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Do we match this?

Chase Wright: I mean, I'm fine… I'm fine with it. I mean, I already proved it, so… no one else has commented.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: So who wants to measure that's the…

Chase Wright: Alright, I don't know, I'll do it. I'll merge it.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Thank you.

Chase Wright: We've talked about it, like, 4 times, so it's fine.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, so then the next one should be the error codes, but, Alexis is not here, Sinai's not here, and then Sims is not also here, so you're just…

Chase Wright: I don't think we're gonna make any progress on that topic. Right now.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: But I feel like we should, because it's been… More than a year plus.

Chase Wright: Yep.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: If my calculation is right. So it's… do… what do we actually, like, how do we move forward to have, To move forward from here, because it looks like we always have this, hold up.

Chase Wright: I… I don't know. The… I mean, the last time that Felix joined the call. he was working on it with Sina, but Cena is not joining the calls anymore, and… Felix is out of office. So I don't even know if they have a plan, because they were discussing More changes to the error codes. But they are not conversations happening in… a public forum. So I don't know.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Will it make sense to get more opinions from, the EL team?

Chase Wright: Yes.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: But how… how then do we do it? Because I think that was the time I… I brought the issue up on EML. ACDE. That was, like, a very long time ago, before these new changes started happening again, so… We kind of, like, have one step forward, then two-step backward situation here.

Chase Wright: Yes, I don't… I don't know. Pardon me.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, we can… okay. let's say we'll wait for Felix to come back. If he has any updates on what they have been working on, then we can… I'm not sure what else to… Or how else you're going to go about it. Dan, we talked about the release. When do we officially have a release, and how do we make it happen? I would like us to decide that, like, today. If that's okay.

Chase Wright: I… there's only 3 people on this call, so… I don't… Girl.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: You, you have emerging rights to the repo. And…

Chase Wright: I do, but I'm not the unilateral decision maker of everything.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, I… I'm not saying you are, but I'm saying, like. we should have, like, a baseline, then we'll present it on, okay, like, a PR or something, then people can comment on it, because if we keep pushing it forward without any PR to, like, prompt devs to actually look into it and then comment, nobody would… it would just… Live… nothing will happen. I feel like if they see the PR, they release PR or something, then… People will be prompted to comment on it. Felix, for example, will be prompted to comment on it. Should I do the PR? I'm not sure I can do the PR, but shh, can I do… should I do something about it, or make it PR or something?

Chase Wright: Yeah, I mean, I don't… I don't have a problem cutting another, like, beta release or whatever, but if your suggestion is that we cut a non-beta 1.00, then yeah, it needs to have more discussion.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, what I'm saying is, the PR shouldn't be, like, the ultimate, like, the release, but… we need to move this forward. We've been… pushing it out for a very long time, and then we… I feel like it's time to actually have a real release. out there, especially for Glamsterdam, like, the,

Chase Wright: But we can't do a release for Glamsterdam when HiveChain isn't even on Glamsterdam.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah.

Chase Wright: There's a bunch of tests that we can't even do yet.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, definitely. I think, IJ, you don't have anything else to say. Can we, like, point this out to… to the Discord channel, and then let Felix know?

Chase Wright: Sure.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Are you okay with that?

Chase Wright: Yes.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay. But since, like Klein said, he will look at the Hive PRs, I think we should have, like. Some of our blockers out, mostly.

Chase Wright: Yep. Yeah, I mean, if we can get Hive Chain… up to… Glamsterdam, then that unblocks a lot of stuff.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay. So, our major blocker is the Hive chain.

Chase Wright: Yes.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: All right Think that's all on the list. I don't know if you have any other thing to point out. Maybe something I missed?

Chase Wright: Nope, alright.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, we can call it a day. Thank you all for joining. And also, thank you, likeliance, for joining, and also looking into the Hive PRs for us. Thank you.

Lightclient (Matt Garnett): Sure. Talk to you all later.

Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, bye bye.

Transcript adapted from ethereum/pm, CC BY-SA 3.0.