RPC Standards #30
RPC Standards · 13 Jul 2026 · 16:31
Call 30 of RPC Standards, held on 13 July 2026. Client teams and tooling developers work on the shared JSON-RPC specification.
Speakers
Topics
From RPC Standards, hosted by Ethereum Foundation.
Transcript
Chase Wright: So I don't, I don't know if Boma or Felix are gonna be new any. There's, like… 3 items on the agenda, and 3… PRs? That would need Felix to merge. Okay. But if he's not here, then… Oh. Does anyone have anything that's… Not on the agenda, or want to talk about one of these… 3 discussion items.
Tullio Canepa: Okay, yeah, I can say something about the Debug witness. Draft spec?
Chase Wright: Yes.
Tullio Canepa: Yeah, I'm gonna advocate for… keeping the… The key is filled. I mean, not dropping it entirely, at least keeping it as optional. Because, it gives a chance to the provers, to… optimize, Even more, on the guest side. And so, yeah, I would — yeah. I'd like to have it at least as an optional field.
Chase Wright: Okay. So okay. Keep keep keys field optional. Alright.
Tullio Canepa: Okay, yeah, I can write a comment on the issue as well, if you prefer.
Chase Wright: Yeah, yeah, sure. I'm going to be completely honest. I don't really have strong opinions either way because I'm not involved in the ZK stuff, but it makes sense to me.
Tullio Canepa: Yeah, yeah. Because otherwise you, you must access. The… the pre-state my… Hashing the… And… and it's… must happen on the ZKVM side, so it basically costs… cycles on the ZKVM, whilst you can avoid this if you pass to the guest. the… pre pre images, basically. So yeah, I I write a comment in this.
Chase Wright: Okay.
Tullio Canepa: But, of course, there are… Then, I mean, pros and cons, because on the client side, maybe some client doesn't. Want to keep the pre images and so it's a. I mean, it's a balance, of course, it's… It's not straightforward, in my opinion.
Chase Wright: Yeah, that makes sense. And I mean, if it is, if it is a balancing act, then, I guess it would make sense to just have it be optional then. Yeah.
Tullio Canepa: Yeah, exactly, exactly. At least to not close the doors to guests to optimize, but at the same time not enforce the client to keep the pre-images.
Chase Wright: Okay. Yeah, that makes sense. If you… if you can leave a comment on it, then I'll.
Tullio Canepa: Yeah, yeah.
Chase Wright: I'll update the spec to reflect that. I mean, it's all in draft anyway, so it's fine.
Tullio Canepa: Okay, I'll do. Thanks.
Chase Wright: Yeah, sounds good. Hi, Boma.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Sorry, I joined late. My internet went down for a while.
Chase Wright: That's all right. So. We were talking about the debug execution witness. It seems there's desire for the keys field to remain and become an optional field. So… Tulio's gonna, add a comment to that, and then I'll update the spec for that. Yes. Unfortunately, Felix is not here. I think he is… Busy at an offsite or something. So I don't think we can make too much progress on getting things merged, but I can… Ping him offline, and see if he'll… He'll do it when he has a chance, And I don't… I don't know if we have anything else… To really discuss…
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Mmm, just… we only just have a few, items on the agenda also.
Chase Wright: Yeah, sure.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: They actually, like, need Felix to look at them.
Chase Wright: Yeah. Okay. I mean, they're almost all my stuff anyway. I get my feelings. Because, yeah, I mean, we agreed on the previous call, the PRs, the merge, like, we agreed on the previous call that they could be merged, so… I don't think we need to re-discuss it, And then, the only other thing is, Tests are failing. One test is failing for Geth because of a Geth change. And that change requires HiveChain to be upgraded to Osaka. And I have a poorly vibe-coded PR into Hive to bump the chain up to Osaka. But… And there's really not much to talk about there, unless someone is more familiar with
that task of upgrading the Hive chain than I am, which is probably Felix. So I gotta bug him. I don't know if there's much else to talk about.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: So, I don't really think there is anything much to talk about, apart from… These peers that need to be merged, and then the ones that need to be reviewed. Which Felix has, should do. Apart from that, nothing else.
Chase Wright: Yeah, I really want to get the testing commit block stuff pushed, because that will fix some other errors in Nethermind. Because of the gas limit issue. Okay. Sorry, this.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: What are what are what about like clients? I think he has. Sort of imagine right to this.
Chase Wright: Yeah, he might, I can… I can ping him. I don't know. Either way, it'll be alright. Try to get these merged. I mean, unless… unless anybody has anything else, I don't… To talk about, like, we can… We can call this meeting short.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Nothing for me.
Chase Wright: Is there…
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Now, the error code discussion.
Chase Wright: Yeah, I don't know. Sina is… I don't know if Sina's working on that particular aspect right now, so that's another conversation.
Simsonraj Easvarasakthi: The last update from… Felix was that he's working with Sina on that, and, they would get back after more discussions. Yeah, we need, Felix and Sina here.
Chase Wright: Yep. Oh, yeah.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, thank you. Hmm, okay.
Chase Wright: Is, what about the the release? pipeline stuff. Does anyone have any updates on that.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: I think it should be, Kira, I think.
Chase Wright: Yeah, okay.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: We talked about doing one release, like, one official one. So…
Chase Wright: Yeah, I mean, we're on 1.0 beta 7. I'm just not entirely sure. What's left?
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Yeah, there was a comment you made on, during that call. You wanted one PR to go in or something. I can't recall the exact PR, but there was a PR you made, and you wanted it to go in, then we can now cut it. They release. Without PRN, so I'm not… And it's like, boom, I.
Chase Wright: That might make sense. So if we can get these three PRs merged, maybe we just move forward with the release.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay. I think maybe we can ping Kira for that. She should have The rights to do that.
Chase Wright: Yeah, alright.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: That's all. We don't have any other thing, unless someone else has something else to discuss, then we can call it a day. Okay.
Chase Wright: Silence is golden.
Mercy Boma Naps-Nkari: Okay, I guess that's it. Thank you everyone for joining. Sorry for joining late.
Chase Wright: All right. Bye, everyone.
Tullio Canepa: Thank you.
Stavros Vlachakis: My pleasure.
Tullio Canepa: Bye everyone.
Stavros Vlachakis: Bye bye.
Transcript adapted from ethereum/pm, CC BY-SA 3.0.