Ethereum Cat Herders Meeting #9 [2019/04/02]
Ethereum Cat Herders · 2 Apr 2019 · 33:16
A coordination call for the Ethereum Cat Herders works through funding, hard fork scheduling and treasury safety. Participants discuss how much matching money a grant round offered and why the grant covers only part of an audit's cost, and whether the next hard fork coordination meeting should follow a Berlin meetup that may change the fork cadence. They also keep the call at its regular time, and one participant argues that a multisig now holding thousands of dollars should move from one-of-n signing to two of three.
Speakers
Topics
From Ethereum Cat Herders, hosted by ECH Institute.
Transcript
hey Hudson hey how's it going yeah good night when we mad at 2 to 2 p.m. UTC yep what time is it where you are 10 p.m. oh nice looks like we might be the only ones that made it's 2 p.m. yeah what to see I know Charles is gonna be a little late we won't have too much to talk about today probably I mean I guess we do have an agenda but a lot of it was finishing up items from last time I think so nothing sir hey will everybody hey Willie hey
picture hello everyone does anyone have the agenda link handy yep send it through now hey Lane hey Tim hello hey I had an 8:00 a.m. call I hate those
my bed early yeah I mean like that's not or early for like people who have real jobs I didn't sign up for a day and [Laughter] well well you're gonna keep taking the nut cigar tonight if there's nobody else I mean I guess thanks so much well I'm like on the good
on the bright side there's not gonna be a ton on the agenda today so okay fine I mean that's my first time doing it I hope I just cover it and make good way mm-hmm yeah be good we can wait another minute or two for Charles maybe and then we'll start it child sent me through a message with a couple of updates I'm saying he's gonna be like oh okay well you can go without him then what do y'all think y'all start sounds good all right I can run it today all right oh great first agenda item update on the
progress there are some new promising leads for money and me and Charles the other day were chatting back and forth and he mentioned that we should update the community on this and I agree with him I'm trying to find the right timing for that it's gonna be before the end of the week I think because I don't want to put out something and then we suddenly have new information so I'm trying to find just the sweet spot of time where updates have happened that are concrete and can be announced and are something the community can get excited about
versus saying same old same old yep agreed hard for coordination update just just a quick one and that is Charles just obviously put out a post in internal messenger cool I'm saying that it looks like the grants including the additional funds with kids from the matching would come to fifty fifty seven thousand is that right because I don't looking at the number of fifteen I don't know how that translates to 57 um see I thought the EF
only gave fifty thousand to all of get coin for their matching yeah so when it's set up to fifty thousand I think it's like people's people's things are competing for that money that's wrong that's wrong that's what I thought uh so d'Alene do you know that CL are matching enough to like see if that's right or not well I think I understand the math but I don't I don't know offhand the number that 60 K sounds about right it's on that order of magnitude so yeah I don't think that there's any way that any particular projects didn't get that much that's probably the amount maximum amount matching was offered I see what they have I mean there's a blog post on kick
point about this so it should be pretty easy to check okay and what was asked are when he comes to the call yeah anybody else have any product how questions yeah one quick one is I think there was some confusion by people around like the fact that the audit was only 50 J I sorry did the the grant was only 50 K but the audit would cost more than that so I think if we're issuing a clarification and be good to just like explain you know that breakdown and like the fact that we're looking for funds from other parties to pay for whatever the difference is and to give people like a feeling of like you know the like relative to the grant how much more are
we seeking is the grant only 25 percent is it 75 percent of the total funds and so on yeah I think that's a great idea well I'll do as much as I can to communicate without giving the number of the total funds even though I think someone's been running around with the number no one from the cat herders but we don't like giving the total number because that would compromise the ability for least authority to price out stuff in the future for future clients so what we can do though is reiterate that yes this isn't the full amount of the funding and we're still seeking outside funding let's see
any other questions okay hard for coordination update I forgot whoever usually talks about that yeah that's Joseph he's in charge of the heart for coronations and I been kind of the meetings recently he's just been in Turkey but he'll be back soon yeah call for the heart for coordination in the gated channel over there but on what I can get from there is like people
would want to wait till the Burling meter yeah so from the gated channel on the heart for coordination get a channel it's suggesting that the the next meeting perhaps be at the Berlin Meetup I mean everyone cuz they love oh that's a good idea huh cool I won't be there myself but a few obviously not gonna be there yeah I won't be there either Lane are you going there to the Berlin 1x Meetup yeah cool wait so can I just catch that Joseph Joseph said that the next time there
should be a meeting about the hard for coordination should be by Berlin I know it's not just proposed and M I guess you were having some opinion there I just said it should probably be after if it's during the burnin me that that's fine as well but just that probably not before then given that there's probably going to be some changes decided I like during those meetings and am I just like if we do like three months hard Forks and we change the whole Istanbul schedule then you know God will have it all the consequences on the coordination so it
doesn't seem like before then there's going to be a lot of questions that get answered so that was just kind of my point there yeah what might not be prudent basically because of the decision of do we have a heart for going forward that's every nine months or do we go for the quarterly hard walk that changes the way we manage it yeah you're asking like basically if we're gonna be changing the cadence more or less there pretty much that's a likelihood of time yeah tell me would just be from from
what was that I was just saying it from the core dips went in from the law most meeting it it sounded exactly like a shorter time frame might be more prudent however we might do so only off days then ball yes it'll depend on how quickly we can get things together it might be after Istanbul it might not yeah so yeah still up in the air that's a good that's a good reason to have this during or after the Berlin meeting but to have at least one cat hurt or involved in those discussions so that week they can come back and say here's what people have been talking about and get the feel for what people want or what the core Deb's
and others want no thank you nine okay Maalik and Aragon Dowell review me the Joseph you don't have to do that okay we can skip that then updates on the action items for the constant noble post mortem I've got a message here from Charles just saying he started working on that this week Oh wonderful okay so Charles has been working on that this week the etherium development portal and design development portal design and structure that is also a
Charles thing did he leave a note about that good he said we'll be speaking with Anthony from eighth hub and reaching out it's Jen Pitts feedback on the current content structure and design okay great the next item is f2 coordination help and it links to a comment from the from this agenda but it doesn't go anywhere did someone delete the comment might be the wrong name because would have been the previous agenda okay so that was this the call that McAra was on or was
there a call afterwards that okay yeah and it was a this is the theorem to call following our call last week and McAra brought up the subject of the cat herders helping with a multi-client test net and it was felt that there are a few stages that need to happen before we get to a multi-client test net one of them being that the clients themselves need to actually run a test net that's stable enough before they'd own their own clients test neck rather than having a multi one before so they said we we've got to jump through a couple of Hoops before get to multiply and so we will just hold off on that for the time being
but that said I think there is still somebody that the theorem cat herders could potentially assist with specifically around which versions the clients are working on and in half are ahead various clans are because that's certainly something that's not being mm well correct let's see cool yeah that sounds good any other comments on that one all right item 7 is any other business I've just been focusing on prog Pao and my cabin trip this weekend which was fun so I don't
have anything else Hugo will be checking the website in his spare time is what I've got from Charles and he also mentions that Greg from China this was going back very quick to earth to coordination help from China safe who works with McAra says he would love to connect with us for our the cat herders up with 2.0 cool that's awesome something else that I wanted to bring up I won't be on the core dev call a week from this Friday is
that during Eid Khan by the way it is like is it smack in the middle or like right before it's so it's smack in the middle that's interesting I wonder if we should even do the call a lot of people are gonna be there yeah that's hard to say I mean generally with these events we push it back a week and especially because this one's in Australia so it's gonna be like middle of the night for everyone I guess the question is like how many of the regular participants are gonna be ed Khan I think it might actually not be that high because it's so far that's kind of the question in my mind yeah that's a good that's a good point would it maybe make sense to have it on an
Australian time zone and I guess I'm saying this like half of our team is in Australia and they don't attend the Chordettes call because of that so given that there's gonna be more of like people there then maybe changing the time usually like end of the day est Americas is like a good time for Australia so it might allow different people also from Asia to jump in who otherwise wouldn't that's not a bad idea it might be to like to do it cuz usually I would suggest stuff like this on the at the end of the previous call so springing it on people now might be a little soon but I'm I kind of want Lane's opinion since he's been in the middle of rescheduling before yeah well
it's so hard to say you know on the one hand like I believe in being equal opportunity and I would actually go even a step further and say we should just rotate the time by like four hours every call you know so like everyone gets you know like screwed some time and everyone's like gets a good time at other times but I really think the price we pay there is greater because like just having a regular fixed time on the calendar means everyone just knows it's going to happen at that time I think if we start playing with the time people are gonna start missing the call so I'm inclined to just leave it as frustrating as that is for like people in eastern time zones yeah I I think I'm an agree with you all I got Hudson even even like you know this week
you know the Europe times I'm shifted again and it's so chipped it for Americans and stuff every time that happens we have people that missed calls like you and I are guilty of this as well sometimes I just feel like moving things is gonna create more chaos than value yeah yep I agree um okay in that case let me see let's let's go ahead and just do the normal time and then Oh Tim you volunteered to actually run the meeting right sure I mean I'll be attending assuming that time doesn't change I'm happy to attend and to uh to just coordinate the call that time is not changing and I'll get
with you before the call and kind of prep you on just like how to manage it it's not too bad you just kind of let people talk things out and if no one's talking you move on to the next item yeah the only hard part is the streaming part that part can actually be like full disclosure the first time first three times I did it it was like terrifying because you're juggling all these like sound settings and stuff so Hudson I'm wondering maybe the right thing to do here would be to ask like live here or someone to come on and like handle the streaming parts at 10:00 doesn't have to worry about that um that can work but I feel like we don't even need it streamed I was just gonna upload it to YouTube after it's done I have a little bit of a
sense I might be wrong that like people are gonna freak out if because because they're all streamed right if like suddenly one of them is not streamed but yeah I don't know maybe it's not such a big deal maybe it maybe we should try once and see if anyone cares if anyone notices yeah let's try it once this will be a good this will be a good test run and I'll try to let people know ahead of time I'll make a note of that so let's say let people know ahead of time it won't be strained or I mean I can try this like we can like do a sort of dry run or whatever I can try to just get at this dream I I don't know I'm happy to try and stream it and maybe just try to set it up in advance to see if everything works
okay cool we'll talk more about that later I'll think about that a little bit more cuz it might not I mean and I the other reason I wouldn't want to want you to go through the trouble of streaming it is if there's not going to be as many people on the call and it's gonna be a real quick call to run through anyway and might not even might not even be worth it so yeah I will talk to you more about that off the call good great so we're just running through hey Charles yeah we just ran through and well my mind is just blanking today Brett read
your updates as we went through the action items and we're on the final action item now so did you have anything you want to say specifically about the post-mortem or the etherium development portal yeah sure so for the four small room I started two of them don't believe which ones that put in variant in progress board probably following up with people this week and putting some stuff together after the developer portal I was speaking with Anthony from each hub as he was quite interested and proposing that to be funded by a Moloch or some sort of thing I think a lot of
people are interested in general and we're gonna speak about that together and show them what I have and other ideas in place I think lane lanes looked at it briefly and I've asked Jamie Pitts to look at it as well so the overall conflict there though is if it's going to be a part of the actual aetherium dot or website in the redesign there I think we covered that last time so you wouldn't obviously be ideal for a repeating content and doing all that so finding some time to chat about that would be helpful just just a quick thought I don't worry about the etherion better work stuff like ok I have no idea what's
going on there no one seems to want to offer any information on that I really think that like in any way shape or form like depending on that's probably a mistake and it's like the reason that if they're in metalwork hasn't been updated in three years so like I think we should just press forward and you know kind of cross that bridge when we get there okay their greed cool anybody any other comments or any other updates Charles I don't think so it's bread look through those updates I think at cover all I'm not sure what what happened with the I can look at the recording after but would the e2o coordination albright knew about them yeah it you know just just with regards to coordination they
basically said that at this stage a multi clients taste nate is not really required I'm first get the individual test needs for the arm and then once that's all set up then we can perhaps start looking at multi client but it's still a little ways off there they feel and they want to testing on them all on their individual clients obviously before they could say yes it's running them it's all sweet but I was saying that they might still be somebody that we could add to theory and to point Sarah in the sense that at the moment no he really has a single source that they could look at and say these are what all
the clients are running on and I basically have the tick box aside we're here we're here we're here over here so we may be able to see something like that that could help them oh I was muted okay so if that's all there that's all of the agenda items will go through action items now and see what we have to go on and what we need to add so six point for Joseph to post updated communications checklist to the e CH internal get her channel he's not here it still needs to be done yeah six
point seven yeah Hugo and Joseph to work together to write up a general overview of how Moloch down might benefit the etherium community us to do Hudson to provide feedback on hard for coordinators yet to do cat herders to look at handbook proposed by Luke's shown and discuss over the next couple of weeks I actually have never looked at that and I thought I thought I had but I hadn't ever clicked on it oh this is neat hmm he's put a lot of time and effort into it's probably worth just having a look through it and see what we want to include it's probably a little bit more detailed and specific to a specific
project rather than a generalization of the cat herders but it's certainly got some good stuff there oh yeah it definitely does yeah and he had a PR for it which whose look first on github John Stevens and myself left like some review already on his PR so it might be worth I mean if you're gonna submit comments it just might be worth having you look at the PR and make sure you're not like saying the same thing twice yeah yeah yep okay and then action item 8.1 need to give warning to the community the cog how carbon road is shutting down we've
done that so that can be crossed out huija to present the IP tracker idea to core devs on Friday I think that happened didn't it it did yes yes okay and then 8.3 review poojas eech task lists can merge it okay great then that's done Lane to Jed Charles to the multi-sig that's 8.4 yep that's done on the multi-sig topic I just noticed that it now has a lot of funds in it because of the bow on it
which makes me a little uncomfortable we should maybe it offline and or not offline but maybe at the end of the call discuss it or something cool I don't even get coin it has deposited the funds and there already there's no depositing the funds just flow through whenever they're made so there's now like something like 15,000 u.s. dollars in there and last I checked it was like 500 so I was kind of shocked yeah that happened because Atlantic crypto contributed a lot and so did someone else either yeah LXE and okay yeah actually a lot of people contributed more than I thought yeah quite quite a bit has flowed through in the past few days so again
maybe I mean we can go into this now if you want I do think it's worth discussing but we can also just finish the action items and then come back to it yeah let's finish the action items that's a good idea so 8.5 makiura to bring the idea to assist coordinating task to the 8th room 2.0 call and we'll provide feedback next meeting yeah that already happened because makiura brought that up and then they decided to not have us come on fully for the moment action item 8.6 to engage with charles and hugo regarding the website eh website ok great action item 8 point 7 Brett to set up get her
channel for those interested in managing the notes and summaries of the etherium quartets that's been okay eight point seven is done eight point six is done - as pooja just said and do we have any new action items to add a process part the helpful coordination process pocket sorry I'm a little late on that but would it be good enough to have a process set up irrespective of the time and period is
such a thing like if the codecs decide it has to be three months hon folk or if they decide to six to nine months whatever it if what we can probably come up with the process parts like as I discussed in the last call like we should go ahead and submit aap for consideration pick up somewhere they have put it into the tracker and everything up so do you think it would be a good idea to kind of drop something over there and submit it as a full request but they that's a parody at all yeah I think that's a good idea okay sounds good my action item is to work with Charles on updating the
community about prog pal before the next core death meeting that'll be our deadline but it'll likely be this week I think that's it does anyone else have any other action items urgent ooh topics I've got to go in 60 seconds I just realized I have another call but I'll just if it's okay just very very briefly share my kind of concerns about the multi-sig can we do do that super quickly right now yeah go ahead yeah so it's just the following right like I've been saying all along let's not get hung up on this we have more important things to do than worry about managing funding because we have so little of it right and so as long as the multi stage contains I mean it's
arbitrary but like let's say in less than a thousand US dollars and like I'm perfectly happy for there to be like a one of n scheme where like any one person you know like you or I or Charles can make transactions I'm actually very uncomfortable with a situation where we have like 15,000 or as much as fifteen thousand stars as much as fifty thousand US dollars in a multi-sig with a one of n not because I don't trust you or Charles or I but because who knows what could happen right keys can get stolen or you know bribery etc is always a possibility and I just like I just try to be like ultra aboveboard on this stuff so we're not gonna solve it right at this moment but like one easy thing we could do here is just bump it up to a two of three right
so any transaction requires two of us I also think another thing we might consider doing is moving the prague power funds into a separate multi-sig which just makes our counting simpler because right now they're all like intermingled you know what I mean with our regular ongoing funding yeah that's a good idea let's see both of those things and we'll do that the first thing is to bump it up to two of then I think yeah I can do that I think any of us can do that immediately as a short-term fix like that would make me sleep easier and maybe just add it as an action item all right sounds great I won't be able to do it today but if anyone else wants to do it just let us know and it's done or I'll do it tomorrow yeah I can probably do it today um Charles just a quick one
on the actual CLR for Apple artwork you say there was 57 yes so that weren't necessarily the matching amount it's the optimal amount that we should reach to get the optimal matching that I think I don't know I've asked they're back they look for a gate coin to confirm but yeah it's it's just unclear right now in the in their current example the CLR contribution formula provides the optimal sealer contribution amount but I'm not sure if that indicates actual matching or if it's the amount you need to achieve to receive that matching oh
no surely secures up the confusion anyway that I had yeah that's good let us know when Vivek says something back to you about it I suppose I knew that only the foundation only gave $50,000 to match multiple projects so the chances that we will be getting much of anything is slim but yeah so I think it is the we have to achieve that amount to get matching I see ok well um let's just hope we get any more funding at all okay and of Charles I gave it an update at the very
beginning but I'll talk to you in private about some more potential funding sources I found out about I'm green and we'll work from there all right great um I think that's it does anyone else have anything else what do I do with the notes that's a good question I think they go in our p.m. repository right oh I can check that if that's where they are open in that yep they're in a folder called all etherium cat herder meetings yep okay great yeah awesome okay thanks everybody bye Jimmy hey thanks