EIPIP Meeting 108
EIPIP Meetings · 21 Aug 2024 · 18:33
Meeting 108 of EIPIP, held on 21 August 2024. EIP editors and community members go over the EIP process and the editorial issues currently open. This meeting covers disabling the stale bot, a fork timestamp variable that is not specified for Dencun, edits to Final proposals and open calls for input.
Topics
From EIPIP Meetings, hosted by ECH Institute.
Transcript
welcome to EIP meeting 108 this is issue number 350 on E cat herders EIP get repository we have pretty light agenda today for discussion of some open issues and pull requests and other topics that may require edit as attention we have one final proposal for edit a few call for inputs most of them are closed so we are just going to share the decision and only one open we'll take a look at eaps insight and yeah that pretty much about it if anyone has any other item that they would like to discuss today perhaps you can add it on the agenda as a comment and we will add it as we go so starting for the very first item it is
uh discuss open issues and PRS and other topics the first item listed here is disabling the steale bought I think this comment was shared by Sam Wilson so Sam if you would like to provide some more context and yeah let us know what is the ask here sure the stale bot has been closing issues that still need to be resolved it closes poll requests before editors have a chance to look at them I think overall it's just become more annoying that it is helpful so I'd like to propose disabling it anybody has any thoughts on that I love the St bot I would should we just make it longer yeah I mean I think initially it
was planned for 3 months is it less than that or do we want to make it six months now I'd prefer if it was smarter like it should just never close an issue or a poor request rather that's waiting for an editor because like that's our problem not the authors so but if we want to keep it around I don't feel super strongly about it so I just feel like yeah we should review poll requests faster and not let them to close because they're stale but also if the Au there doesn't respond and say something on the poll request like this is not stale then are they going to respond to any changes that we like request because I do see a problem where
we like request changes after a month or two and then they just never make them oh yeah that's absolutely a problem um I think it would be nice if the bot knew like that had happened and that the author is waiting we're waiting on the author now I just don't know how to do that so EIP board the thing Nikki made can do it uh but it it doesn't know how to close stale issues or anything like that so maybe that's a feature we add but how about we change it so that it warns you a week before closing and not two months before closing and then it just closes it without warning yeah that would be great okay so yeah I'm also happy to make it a bit longer like I don't think yeah I'll attached to the timing I just think it's nice to have
something that's turnning through old stuff at some pace because otherwise I think we'll just get like really old stuff that no one cares about anymore all right I'll take a look at changing that thanks thank so the two action item or the two changes that we are looking with this sale board is one number one sending message one week before closing and number two it should not close the message pull request which is waiting on editors review only which is waiting on author review is that the correct understanding that would be ideal but I think we're just going to change the times for now okay so we would be changing the time perfect speaking of stale things when are we going to start
calling stale EIP editors again I was waiting for the oneye anniversary of the last time I did it I think that's October okay I mean we can do it now I don't I don't care I just don't want to propose it if it's uh sooner than a year yeah that's fine and when are we getting there I mean I'm just curious is it in a month or so or by the end of year uh I think it was October I I'll double check okay so it's nearby okay that's pretty cool yeah we should update it we should keep it updated because it gives incorrect impression of like there are so many people working on it and still our work is not getting done so
let's get that updated very well the next item here is Fork timestamp VAR able that is not specified I think it is proposed by smart programmer he mentioned that EIP 7045 which is already merged which is already finalized and that also does not contain the fork time stamp however there is no p as per my information please let me know if there is already an existing PR and Ms to add here but the request here is from the editors about the action that needs to be taken should we add the four time stamp as there was a precedence or how do we want to handle
this proposal 1745 if somebody opens a poort request I'm happy to call for input and merge it we probably shouldn't have tbds and final proposals okay I will try to get in touch with him and maybe check with him if he's willing to do that if not then maybe I will make a PR and ask him to approve it if he's limited with his b or something like that oh that works I mean like we don't even need to involve them it just I don't want to make the pr I'm lazy I can do that okay we just need to take it from the last one and yeah I can perhaps make it cool so the next one is edit to final proposal and this is PR
number 8817 which I believe has been created by Samson itself and it is a very small type of fix might require other editors approval before it can be brunched yeah there's just an extra T in the name of an interface so I just removed it Matt if you could maybe take a look at it and yeah add your comment and I think it would require two editors approval would it uh it might even be three I'm not sure but yeah it'll need yeah yeah because you have already created so it may be counting you as one so the other than Matt there would be one more editors review required oh no he's not adding you in the list because you have created it okay so three more
reviewers that's right okay so I will share this in the Discord Channel as well so people can take a look and we can perhaps close it because this is very small fix uh moving forward we have call for input um 343 345 and 348 all of them have been closed and there's only one open 349 I don't know Sam if you would like to make maybe take a few minutes and talk about all of them and share the results and what is sure let me just pull that [Music] up okay so uh 343 was um changing a comment in a reference
implementation um we um approved it I merged the PO request um 345 was um uh deleting EIP 712 uh 7212 that one still requires um editor approvals um yeah so I'll put that in the chat here um then we have 348 uh which was an update to e152 um what was update for this one H
yeah it was just adding some extra zeros um I confirmed in solidity that it the behavior is the same and um I was the only one who commented on it so I merged it um and then we have 349 which is uh Dax Rands um allow a pending to security considerations and final proposals uh that one is very contentious I think um but I believe I'm the only editor who's commented on it so oh uh gendra has as well and we're on opposite sides of the argument so if um anybody who's listening to this wants to come on and uh leave a comment I'd appreciate it
thank you thank you for sharing um yeah it seems like uh the open um I mean it is still open but the deadline has already passed so if someone can maybe add a name input by the end of this week that should be fine otherwise we are going to use the power of keeper of consensus and may be able to respond to the result very well uh the next section is pretty much empty over here like um I don't I have not received any comment like what people would like to discuss here maybe because we meeting after quite some time
so um we will look into it later on maybe moving for forward the next one is eips Insight so we are trying to follow this website to collect the information on eips Insite however these have also been updated right over here on our usual hackmd that we follow so people can find it at both places the idea is to provide realtime uh data on eips and ercs and rips so as we uh take a look at here we have five new proposals in draft from EIP and three on the ERC side similarly for review last call and everything when we get to know more about it we can also find the
deadline over right here so this proposal is supposed to be ending the last call deadline on September 5th people can U maybe take a look and add their feedback comments on it they also provide a decent chart over here that suggests like okay how many proposals we have received so so far under which category and uh things like that all these information are already added here people can also find details of each of the proposal right here but eventually we will move out of this hackim day style and we'll try to get the information real time from this website there were a couple of other
updates which were shared with me um and uh we are hoping to uh share it with the community so people may be able to make use of this they created a Petra page which contains all the uh information right here uh about all the proposals which are getting into pectra one thing that uh the team worked on was status timeline saying like how long does it take from to move from one status to another status and we are trying to bring it for all the projects all the eips uh that will give us a very good idea of how we are doing in terms of like responding to the poll request of uh authors or proposers I'm just taking
for example uh something different here so we can get a full view of this uh so for example moving from draft to review it took longer and then because this is like one of the most popular proposal and we understand it took a long time to get finally onto the main net but this gives a at least a good picture of how we are moving with this I wonder if if there are some other thoughts on how people want to see it does it look good or do we want to add more um you know parameters to it that's really cool I really like that um I don't have anything off the top of my head but that's really neat okay one other thing that we are trying to do is like just
add the network upgrade category and I hope that would be uh done by the um next week or so um few other things that uh was informed I was informed that they have worked on but I'm not sure if this is working exactly the way it is expected but let's quickly take a look at it so for example here this is about all the proposals reviewed by each of the editor and uh I can perhaps demo it here that was shared with me okay so what we are trying to do here is try to figure out like how many pull requests were created over a period of time so people can just enter their start date end date and we can uh fetch the
information right here so when we enter the date it suggest that how many PRS are created we also validated it by getting into the GitHub repository and it shares the exact same number the ask here is like what kind of UI we are looking at is it okay to just put it across like that or maybe we can create an Google sheet which can be referred so they're looking for like uh how to visualize the information yes um I mean like a bar chart would probably be fine or like um I don't know maybe like a like a line chart that shows like as of each month the total number of eips
reviewed by each author or each editor maybe I'm not sure uh yes I think uh part of it was done this is like still work in progress not very neat uh so the EIP editor review is this one like here we can see um since 2015 how many proposals have been reviewed by each of the editors is right here oh yeah yeah I'm saying over to so take this chart and then put it over time okay yeah okay that's very good suggestion we can perhaps do that right now what it does is like we can enter any individual's U name here and uh that will show okaye for example if
I oops it's breaking yeah I I had the same problem but yeah I will inform the team why is it breaking maybe they can take a look at it okay fair enough so I I think uh the suggestion here is that we should try to make it against time so people can uh visualize it even better yeah maybe not instead of maybe in addition to but but yeah that's okay yeah okay perfect so the four uh CHS that the team are working on number one adding Network upgrade on the um EIP uh we worked on the date and we will work on the closed and open issues as well as the editors review thing I think that
would help us to evaluate like how many proposals are we able to actually attend to and do we need more reviewers obviously we need more reviewers but how many review should we get on board it it might help to get to that decision yeah that's looking awesome we should uh put a link to this somewhere on the Eeps website at some point if there isn't one already there isn't but let's try to fix the issues first and then I will ask the team us to update it there okay uh that's pretty much about the aps inside um we had EAP editing office our meeting 42 yesterday we reviewed 19 proposals that was quite a lot to like
look at in one hour but uh it was a great achievement like um we tried to respond to people who had uh shown up for their questions and help merge their pull request in the same meeting if anyone listening to this call are planning to join the AIP editing office server it happens every two week so two weeks from yesterday uh there's an another meeting at 1400 UTC you can always leave your PR if you cannot attend the meeting as a comment and we will try to address it in that meeting any question any question related to uh pull request merge issues or documentation please join us over there
and we hope that you are able to make your proposal move forward in different statuses the now last one here is action item from the last last meeting okay um on a high level I am not sure if I find any open action item only one call for input open to collect input for decision making has it been closed 349 oh you already did it okay perfect I think uh we covered pretty much everything that were listed on agenda today anyone has anything else to
bring up for today or maybe for the next meeting I'm good well thank you that's great less issues less problem and better for the editors to continue doing what they are doing there yeah thanks for organizing everything POA really appreciate it thank you it's my pleasure and thanks for all the effort and time that you guys are spending to support all these new contributors may be able to make their contribution to the ethereum ecosystem well thank you all for joining us here today I understand that we have agreed to keep this meeting only once a month and that to on the third Wednesday
of the month so the next meeting is planned on September 18th at 1400 UTC if you have got anything to add to the agenda please feel free to do so I will add a new agenda item uh for the next meeting right after this meeting thank you everyone for joining us here today have a great one